вторник, 13 марта 2012 г.

Bullett picks up where Sosa left off

Talk about relieving the pain of the Cubs' big hurt. ScottBullett's performance at bat and in right field made "Sammy Who?"the tongue-in-cheek catch phrase Wednesday at Wrigley Field.

Bullett (3-for-4, three runs, three RBI) singled and scored inhis first two at-bats and homered his third time up in his firstofficial start as injured Sammy Sosa's replacement. Though heoverthrew cutoff man Mark Grace on one play, he made a running catchof a Bob Natal fly ball and doubled up Kurt Abbott at first.

"I'm no Sammy Sosa," said Bullett, who raised his average to.234, "I'm at a point where this is my career right now. I'mstruggling pinch-hitting (9-for-47), but this is an opportunity toget four or five at-bats a game, do good and show that I can playhere next year."

Bullett said every Cub must perform better with Sosa out.

"Sammy always put us on the board," Bullett said. "We have topick Sammy up, and that's a big weight to carry."

KIESCHNICK RETURNS: Power-hitting outfielder Brooks Kieschnick,who hit .257 with 20 doubles, 18 homers and 64 RBI in 116 games atClass AAA Iowa, was recalled to fill Sosa's roster spot.

Kieschnick, who was 1-for-6 in seven games at the start of theseason, will be on the bench.

DAWSON SAYS GOODBYE: Former Cub Andre Dawson, who is retiringafter the season, was presented before the game with a large framedphoto of himself in a Cubs uniform, framed ivy and grass from theWrigley Field outfield and a right-field bleacher seat with his No.8.

Dawson jogged from the right-field corner along the warningtrack, bowing to fans in the bleachers.

"I want you all to know that I love you from the bottom of myheart," Dawson said. "The Cubs allowed me to rejuvenate my career.The right-field fans, you're the greatest. . . . I'll miss Chicago,I'll miss Wrigley, I'll miss (equipment manager) Yosh (Kawano) andalso the greatest fans in baseball." Dawson has been on the Marlins' disabled list since Aug. 8 becauseof right knee inflammation.

ROTATION SET: With off days today and Monday, manager JimRiggleman can stay in a four-man rotation and use Frank Castillo,Steve Trachsel and Jaime Navarro on four days' rest in the series atHouston on Tuesday-Thursday. The Cubs return home next Friday for adoubleheader with Atlanta to begin a four-game series that willrequire a fifth and possibly sixth starter. Riggleman wouldn'tspeculate that far ahead.

STREAKING: Grace (2-for-3) extended his hitting streak to 15games and raised his average to .341.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий